Mangalore, December 16: District Health Officer O.R. Srirangappa on Wednesday admitted that not much is being done to combat malaria. Malaria cases have been on the rise...." />
mangalore today
name
name
name
Friday, April 04
namenamename

 

DHO blames construction work for spread of malaria

DHO blames construction work for spread of malaria


Mangalore Today News Network

DHO blames construction work for spread of malariaMangalore, December 16: District Health Officer O.R. Srirangappa on Wednesday admitted that not much is being done to combat malaria. Malaria cases have been on the rise, according to him.


Taking part in the coordination committee meeting called by Dakshina Kannada Deputy Commissioner Subodh Yadav on Wednesday, Mr. Srirangappa said the number of persons affected by malaria in the city till November had been 6,444. The number of affected persons had been on the rise since 2002 and it reached a peak in 2005, he added.


Mr. Srirangappa attributed this to high-rise buildings and unprotected migrants. High-rise buildings accumulated water during construction work making it a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Passive surveillance and the anti-larval measures were not taken up effectively in the affected areas, he said.


MCC blamed

Mr. Srirangappa said the Mangalore City Corporation, which had a health section, was able to carry out surveillance in only 10 per cent of the affected areas. “The corporation had not been able do much in combating malaria. For a population of 6 lakh, there are only 13 persons engaged in fighting the menace. They are not able to do the work properly. We are involving private institutions, but the result is not satisfactory,” he said. The Deputy Commissioner pointed out that it was the task of the Health Department to control the menace. “If you are saying the other departments are not doing their duty, have you specified the roles that each has to play?” Mr. Yadav asked. He sought to know of an action plan, if any, prepared by the department. Mr. Srirangappa said there was a need for wider surveillance. The Malaria Officer had submitted an action plan and had estimated an expenditure of Rs. 1 crore, which Mr. Srirangappa said, was yet to be approved. thehindu


Write Comment | E-Mail | Facebook | Twitter | Print
Error:NULL
Write your Comments on this Article
Your Name
Native Place / Place of Residence
Your E-mail
Your Comment
You have characters left.
Security Validation
Enter the characters in the image above